Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chocolate Mousse

Kind of funny how I'm starting this blog with my two least favorite foods, seafood and now dessert. I probably get more pleasure out of watching other people eat dessert than on the rare occasion I have them. I assume it's from having too many sweets as a kid. In fact I probably like making them more than I like eating them. The best part is the look on people’s faces when they take those first few bites of a dessert they really enjoy. Priceless. You know that "I really shouldn't be eating this but don't you dare try to stop me" look? Their head goes down and dessert goes in.

I just got a new fancy camera so I'm still working on learning all the bells and whistles. Hopefully the camera/editing skills improve some in the near future.



One 11.5 oz bag of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
1/2 C water-divided
4 egg yolks
3 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream-whipped

In a double boiler, pour in the chocolate, butter and half the water. Heat until the chocolate and butter are melted. Let it cool in the fridge if you want but I think it's just as good warm too.

In a sauce pan whisk the egg yolks, sugar and the rest of your water over medium-low heat. Keep whisking or you'll end up with sweetened scrabbled eggs. You're supposed to heat the eggs to 160 to kill any bacteria and whatnot. Unless you get your eggs straight from the chicken I wouldn't worry too much. If you are worried a couple minutes should get you there.

Whisk the chocolate into your eggs. Once they are combined fold your whip cream in. I used to do this with a spatula but I recently learned doing it with a whisk works better. It takes a little longer and maybe it's in my head but I think it helps keep the mousse from getting "flat".








4 comments:

  1. This one sounds good and pretty easy :) do you have a good recipe for French onion soup???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost have everything for it. I'll whip something up and try to post it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet I love a good French onion soup!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By tomorrow I meant sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete