Thursday, January 12, 2012

Beer Mussels and Chorizo

I'm not a huge fan of seafood. Wait, let me try that again. I think most seafood is gross. It's just not my thing but I'm trying. Weird thing is I seem to be adding seafood items to my cool book. Maybe I'm coming around? On a somewhat rare occasion a few weeks ago the wife and I were able to eat lunch together without kids. The Valley Tap House recently opened nearby and the boss had been waiting for months to go there. Reasonable prices, original food and a great beer selection. We'll be back.


The boss ordered mussels as an app. I reluctantly tried and enjoyed them! Thought I would give them a whirl at home. This one is a keeper folks. How could any dish be bad when it’s made with Belgian beer and sausages?

1 bottle Saison Dupont
1 lb. mussels scrubbed and debearded
2 links of Chorizo-sliced
1 shallot-minced
3 cloves of garlic-minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Ancho chile powder

Heat oil in a large dutch oven or a pot big enough to steam the mussels in. Sautee the shallot and garlic until soft.

Pour in the beer, sliced chorizo and Ancho powder and simmer for around 10 minutes or until the smell of alcohol has faded. For those of you afraid of chiles, please stop. If Jalapenos and Cayenne pepper is as far as you've pushed your culinary boundaries it’s time to push them a little further. Ancho has a very earthy, raison like flavor with a very subtle heat. You'll like it.

Dump your mussels in and steam until they start to open-shouldn’t take more than five minutes. If you have any stubborn mussels that don't want to open give them little whack and they should pop open. Serve with some crusty bread to mop up with. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment