Sunday, June 10, 2012

apple pie baked beans

Every time I make this I get asked for the recipe or what I put in it. A handful of extra ingredients and 20 minutes can take your boring baked beans into something you actually want to eat. It's my go to side dish for potlucks and whenever I make bbq the boss pretty much insists on it.


I found this recipe on the webs a couple years ago. I cut back on the sugar a little but I've left it mostly unchanged. It especially good if you add a pound of leftover pulled pork.
I had just finished smoking bacon when I made this. I used the rind I sliced off the add some flavor. If you want you can use a few strips of bacon too. I've found that it's a little more trouble than it's worth to go out of my way to add it though so if you don't have any don't worry.

Yes, I am a messy cook.
4 bacon strips (optional)
2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans, drained
1/2 C of your favorite bbq sauce(stay away from honey bbq-too sweet)
1 lb. smoked leftover pulled pork (optional)
1 can apple pie filling, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/3 C brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. of your favorite mustard
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp bbq rub (optional)

If you're using bacon fry the strips up and set aside. Using the bacon grease, saute the onion and bell pepper until soft or about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and the bacon if you are using it and have managed to not eat it already. I like to bake it for 45 minutes or so but you can let it simmer also. If you want to mix things up you could add some Jimmy Dean's breakfast sausage instead of pulled pork, Peach filling instead of apple or some jalapenos instead of chipotle powder. Get fancy.

5 comments:

  1. I will be making this next weekend.

    I'm trusting you on this, Kori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had and made beans very similar to this. Throwing in some smoked meats is essential. Smoked pulled pork and some brisket is perfect. Deeeeeelish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar recipe and these are just awesome. Adding some smoked pulled pork is icing on the cake. Oh, and I also use the optional rub. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete