Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Carne Asada Rub

You know those tacos you get at the mexican place? We've all had them. They usually taste better than the ground hamburger ones you make at home with that packet of taco seasoning. Don't get me wrong, I'm slowly turning into a food elitist but I still understand if that's the best you've had you may not know something better is out there. Or maybe it’s out of convenience or like most people it never crossed your mind that you could do it better. Whatever your reason stop wasting your money on the packet junk. It's gross and full of salt. Instead spend a few dollars up front and make a batch of this and you'll be making better Carne Asada tacos than that restaurant you get them from.

On a more personal note the boss told me that I shouldn't share this recipe. When I asked why she said if I ever become a rich and famous chef I need to keep a few recipes secret. Until that day comes I'm sharing. Funny thing is, she told me a minute later I should put this on my blog. Do you see the kind of crazy I deal with?

For all of you kids out there that are big on craft projects take a look. Remember when you were younger and you would put the colored sand or whatever in a glass jar and make layers? Same thing. Maybe if you like it and know someone that uses those packets you can make them a gift? With fancy ribbons and bows!! But not glitter.



My daughter's first photo bomb!


Checking it out.



aaaahhhhhhh!!!


Equal parts of the following:
white pepper
black pepper
ground cumin
dried oregano
chile powder
garlic powder
*chile blend*

I make mix of different chile's that I use. You can just use cayenne if you want to add heat. Cayenne adds heat but doesn't really have much flavor. If you want your rub on the milder side you don't need to add anything else but could use paprika just for some filler. Unless you get a high quality paprika its flavor doesn't stand up to heat so adding it in this will only make the rub go a little further. Below is what I usually make but I suggest playing around with different blends. Adding different chile's gives a more complex range of flavors.

chile blend:
1 tbsp ancho chile
1 tbsp gaujillo chile
1 tsp aleppo chile
1 tsp cascabel chile
Carne Asada Rub


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I wasn't aware anyone from Minnesota even understood spicy and/or heat. Honestly, people, salt is not a spice. And neither is bland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black pepper is not spicy either!

    ReplyDelete