Sunday, February 26, 2012

fish taco cups


I was informed tonight that the boss thinks this is in the top three meals I make. Not sure I really agree since it has fish, but it is pretty good and one of the faster dishes I make. Probably one of the healthiest too. Come to think of it this was only the second time I've made this. I stole it from the food network and haven't changed much of the original recipe, just subbed a few things that are more readily available. I also omitted the creme fraiche the original recipe called for. I didn't think it was really needed.


You start with these little babies. Won tom wrappers, brushed with oil and cooked it muffin tins. Make a nice little edible cup. I'm going to have to use these for other apps. Maybe buffalo chicken dip in a cup?




The filling is bit sized pieces of avocado and mango with some green onion, lime juice and olive oil. Just before serving I tossed in some chopped arugula and the cooked fish. While I was prepping everything I first sliced up some red jalapenos and pickled them in the lime juice. The original recipe called for wasabi powder mixed with creme fraiche. I thought the red would give it some color and since it's on the sweet side it balances the dish out. Wasn't sure the boss wanted them so I took them out. Almost forgot to add them.



Won ton cups:
won ton wrapper
canola oil

Brush both sides of the wrapper with oil and place the in a muffin tin. Push them down to form a cup and bake @ 375 for 6 minutes or until they start to brown. Take them out and let cool.

The filling:
3 T  extra virgin olive oil
1 lb fresh tilapia fillets-cut to bite sized pieces
1 avocado-cut into half inch cubes
1 mango-cut into half inch cubes
3 green onion-finely chopped
1 red jalapeno-finely sliced-pickled in lime juice for 15 minutes
3 cups chopped arugula

Heat oil over med-high heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes a side. Set aside for a couple minutes to cool.

The dressing:
juice from two limes
3 T extra virgin olive oil

Whisk the juice and oil together. Add the mango, avocado, green onion, arugula, and jalapeno. Spoon the filling mixture in the cups and place a few pieces of fish on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment